Apr 5, 2009

Philadelphia Photostory: Found Type

I've been taking photos for this photostory for a couple of weeks and its my most favorite one so far! As I was walking around I noticed some really great examples of typography on signs and row home addresses, but then I also found some cool uses on everyday objects and then of course the ultimate subversion of typography, tagging!

2006

2006
Entrance of a row home, I kinda love everything about this pic, the textures, the paint splatter on the door and the decaying print of the letters. And the reflection in the glass, that was quite accidental.

Angled

Angled
This entrance was quite odd, its on an angle like that. This was located in a small side street called Tryon and it has some really fantastic houses and architecture, I'm waiting for a sunny day to go take some photos over there.

Apt 1 & Apt 2

Apt 1 & Apt 2
I was actually walking around Chinatown and saw a collection of mail boxes and the type on them looked so fantastic, I didn't have my camera with me at the time! Which sucked because I saw a lot of cool stuff I would have liked to photograph that evening, anyway I'm glad I caught another cool looking set of mailboxes.

2010

2010
This is a new house they finished building last summer, I don't think anyone moved in yet though but I love all the modern elements on the door compared to the 2006 door.

IPA advice

IPA advice
Lagunitas IPA beer label on my dark blue jeans. I was intrigued by the slogan, well the label had many sayings on it but this was the best one, "Life is uncertain, don't sip!". I'm not sure what that means though.

S is for schwinn

S is for schwinn

This is the same yellow bike I took a pic of a few weeks ago but this was taken in a totally different location haa. We meet again yellow bicycle! I just love the S on the seat and because S is my initial.

Books behind bars!

Books behind bars!
I was wandering around and came across this amazing old bookstore, I didn't go inside because I feel bad going in small local businesses and not buying anything, but they sell like really old 50 cent books.

Twerp

Twerp
I'm kind of obsessed with Twerp's tags, I see them all over, there's even one outside my workplace!! Its on a small gold pipe, I haven't gotten a chance to take a pic yet because people take their smoke breaks there.

Meats and Provisions

Meats and Provisions
This was painted on the afore mentioned bookstore building, I loved the old Western type and style.

All images copyrights to S. Bakr, please do not reproduce or repost without my permission.

No comments:

Post a Comment